Saturday, August 6, 2011

It's a Family Tradition

I love that I was raised in a large, close-knit family. My Granny always taught us that family is more important than anything in the world. And it's from my Granny that one of my favorite traditions comes from. 
 
As long as I could remember, my Granny had coffee on saturday mornings with her brother and his wife. When her brother passed away, followed not long after by his wife, my family kept up this weekly tradition by going to her house for coffee and donuts. It gave her something to look forward to every week, and it gave my family a chance to check up on her without being really obvious about it. After my Granny had a stroke and was living in a nursing home, my family still kept up the tradition by taking coffee and donuts to the nursing home every week, just to let her feel a sense of normalcy despite everything being different. 
 
After she passed away, the tradition continued and has been moved to my parents house. Someone brings the donuts or goes to get them, coffee is made and poured and aunts/uncles/cousins/siblings/close family friends stop in and out during the course of the morning. It's a nice way to keep track of what's going on with my family. 
 
 On a recent trip to the dollar store, I picked up a clear glass plate, not really knowing what to do with it, but knowing that I would be able to use it for some sort of project. It didn't take me long to decide to make a plate that can be used on saturday morning for donuts. 
 
I used my Silhouette software to design a subway art type graphic. I cut it out on some blue vinyl and removed the letters to make my stencil. 
 
I used transfer tape to apply the graphic to my plate. Then used etching cream to etch my design. If you've never used etching cream before (and why not, it's so easy!), I've already made a tutorial you can find here
 
 I'm so pleased with how this project turned out. I've never done a subway art project before but I'm very happy with the result. Hopefully, this will be a good addition to an already strong family tradition. 

4 comments:

  1. I really like it! That is a fun project to make.

    You have a Silhouette huh?? I am jealous, just sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely awesome! I love it...great idea, and what an excellent piece for the family to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How super sweet!! I'm sure that this plate will be passed down generation to generation as your family still has it's Saturday mornings. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cool. We never had any traditions like that when I was growing up, but I have a one year old now and I've been trying to start some of our own traditions that he can continue when he has a family of his own, too.

    Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...